Thursday, May 3, 2012

Raw Vegan Blueberry and Blackberry Cheesecake

As is the question for a lot of people that make raw almond milk: 'What can I do with the pulp? I don't want to throw it out!', I found myself googling different ideas and thought I would try using it in the crust of a raw vegan cheesecake.  Never having tried this before, I was happy how it turned out so I figured I'd share.  One thing I did do that I'm not entirely sure was necessary, was I dehydrated the crust for about an hour as I felt there may have been a little much moisture in it. 

Crust ingredients:

1 cup raw walnuts
1 cup raw almond pulp
1/4 cup raw agave nectar
1/4 hemp hearts
1/8 cup coconut oil (melted)
pinch of sea salt
Filling ingredients:

3 cups raw cashews
3 cups blueberries
1 cup blackberries
3/4 coconut oil
1/2 cup raw agave nectar
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of sea salt


For the crust put the walnuts into a food processor and chop them up until the are fairly fine, then combine with all of the other ingredients for the crust.  Do not forget to melt the coconut oil which is generally a solid at room temperature.  You can do this by sticking the bottle of coconut oil into a sauce pan of warm water until it becomes a liquid.  
Take your springform pan, grease it lightly with a little bit of the coconut oil and press mixture into the pan.

After soaking the raw cashews for several hours, I soaked them for about 3 hours, blend all of the ingredients together.  Depending on the size of your blender you may need to do this in two stages.  If so, just mix together in a bowl after and then pour mixture on top of the crust in your pan.  Put it into your fridge or freezer to harden for a few hours.  This will allow the coconut oil to harden once again and help make it a little firmer. 
Then decorate as you wish.  I just topped it with a few berries and made a quick sauce out of some blueberries, agave nectar and lemon juice.

1 comment:

  1. looks good, just too much fats for me to want to make this and try it.

    ReplyDelete